Babies are a bundle of joy and so precious. They enter into the world with their tiny feet but with lots of happiness, smiles, laughter, cuddles and innocence. Let us make a promise to ourselves to protect their innocence with affection, attention, emotion, care, comfort and correct selection of products. Let us check one of the most essential baby products “Baby shampoo” and how to make a wise decision of choosing that.
Know your babies hair and scalp
Babies have different hair types just like adults. The general hair types are fine, silky, thick, coarse. Do a regular analysis of your baby’s scalp. Sometimes babies have sore, redness or irritation on the scalp. Knowing the hair type and scalp analysis help you to choose the right products.
Points to be considered when choosing a shampoo
- Hypoallergenic- While picking a shampoo it needs to be checked if the shampoo is labeled as hypoallergenic, so it should not cause irritation on the scalp.
- Tear free- It is one of the most important features to be checked. It should cause less irritation, if it gets into the baby’s eyes accidentally.
- pH-Balanced- Baby shampoo with pH balance should be chosen, because baby skin generally has acidic pH.
- No Harsh Chemical- There are several harsh chemicals like sulfates, parabens, phthalates, and artificial colors which are harmful for babies skin and hair. These chemicals should not be included in the shampoo.
- Gentle Formulation- Baby shampoos are generally mild formulated which are good for baby’s hair and cause less irritation.
- Easy to rinse- It should be easy and convenient to rinse off so it will not leave any residue over the baby’s hair and skin.
- Allergen Awareness- If a baby has specific allergies or sensitivities, check the ingredients before applying it on the baby's hair.
- Purpose specific- If a baby has specific hair or scalp condition, then choose the shampoo as per the requirements.
- Fragrance-Free- Fragrances generally irritate babies and their skin. And again fragrances are made with some chemicals. It is good to choose a baby shampoo with no fragrance.
- Natural Ingredients- Natural ingredients are good for baby’s skin, cause less damage and keep away from chemicals. An organic certification is a symbol to identify this aspect.
- Patch Test- Even though checking with all the above points, it is mandated to do a patch test. Apply a small amount of shampoo on a small portion of hair, if everything goes good then can go with the baby shampoo. Patch test is an ideal method not only for baby shampoo but also for all ranges of baby products.
Every baby is different and special. Everything does not work the same for all the babies. Keep this in your mind while choosing products, ideas, toys, games etc. in their growing stage.